So you plan to be in Buenos Aires for the holidays? There are several things that are important to be aware of!
First, expect A LOT of fireworks! If you don't like noise then get some earplugs, and for your dogs while you're at it! I'll never forget when our daughter was just a few days old, the amount of fireworks in our neighborhood was like a war zone - she slept right through it and so did my husband, me and my cat and the dogs did not!
The most important times for getogethers (and hence for places to be closed) are dinner on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve and then lunch on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Watch out for drivers who have been consuming too much alcohol or are hurrying around at the last minute. We all know how dangerous it is in BA for drivers and pedestrians so be on your toes more than usual!
Christmas Eve/New Years Eve:
* Cabs - limited starting in the afternoon
* Buses - similar to Sunday schedules or even less
* Kioskos - hit or miss with some open so they can sell fireworks or alcohol.
* Restaurants - hit or miss, make a reservation if you're worried
Christmas Day/New Years Day:
* Chinese stores in the late afternoon
* Cabs - increasingly available as the day goes on
* Kioskos - still hit or miss starting later in the day
* Bakeries - morning
* Movie Theaters - New Years Day in the afternoon